Flashback: Thursday, November 12. I am happily knitting away on Petra (on US 10.5's) while the children are at school. Happily, I said. That is, until Mom, who is also knitting Petra, looks over and says, “Wow, your fabric is really dense.” I am off gauge by a stitch. I rip out the whole thing, eight inches worth--and let us not underestimate how long it takes me, the mother of three 4-year-olds and one 3-year-old to knit eight inches of anything, even in bulky! I start over on US 11's. Then, on Saturday, after knitting about 10 rows in Mom's company, I have a feeling--a feeling!--and ask Mom to measure. It's off again, about two inches too big. Now I'm pissed. I rip out again. I swatch on both US 10.5's and 11's. I can't get gauge on either. But would you believe it: some companies actually make US 10.75's. And I'm in luck, I can get 10.75 in Addi Lace needles, and Angelika got them to me in two days! On Monday! From Oregon! (And I didn't even pick expedited shipping!)
So after this problem, I had a bit of a finish-itis attack. I picked up Robot and started sewing. I just have to get my safety eyes (already on the way) and I can sew up the head, and then give it to Boy E who laid claim to it. After staking his claim, he helped Boy M leaf through Jess Hutchinson's book to find another toy for me to make for him.
In the meantime, on Saturday night, I came home to find my Lucky Lurker Club package waiting at the front door. I opened it, and it was beautiful yarn (as always)
with a pattern for a beret (note: the iPhone did not do a good job with the color). I've been wanting to knit a beret--I even ordered Grumperina's pattern and have it sitting in my to-do pile--but couldn't justify casting on one more project. So in light of the Petra failure, I swatched and cast on Saturday night. I'm having a good time with it, just have to get up my nerve to swatch again for Petra.
ETA 11/19: Swatched Petra on 10.75's on 11/19 and got gauge. Am working up the nerve to cast on.