Sunday, September 30, 2007

Project mojo update

Well, I ran into a little trouble on the Waterfall socks, but nothing I would consider to be another full-out departure of the mojo. I had trouble figuring out the last two short rows turning the heel. So I emailed Jen at Woolgirl, and she was ever so helpful, as it took two emails to figure out the problem. Or mostly figure it out--I pretty much just fudged it. But after I turned the heel and knit half the gusset, I realized I knit the heel two rows less than the pattern called for, and I felt I needed those two rows. So I worked my way backwards, and along the way, dropped a yarn over somewhere in the instep and ended up having to rip back to the almost-beginning, specifically, the five rows of stockinette that precede the start of the pattern on the cuff. But I didn't feel that bad about it, I mean, it's sportweight, so it knits quickly, and the pattern isn't that hard, and I'm enjoying it. So now I'm working my way down the instep; I think I'm about halfway to the toe. And I'm LOVING the yarn! Unfortunately, I have no pictures. Today's excuse is that I have a new computer--I've gone iMac--and I have to figure out how to download pictures into iPhoto in a way that makes sense, as opposed to the way I did it the first time, which produced an album of 300 or so photos.

Next project: the Tulip Cardigan. I'm working the applied i-cord trim on the sweater. I'm just about to negotiate the turn from the left front to the bottom, and I need to be clear in the head because I think there's casting on and slipping stitches involved, which doesn't seem that complicated during the day, but this project has become a strictly after-11 p.m. project (the only time I have to give it undivided attention), and I'm definitely not clear in the head at that time. Fortunately, I haven't made too many mistakes so far, but most of them happen as I start to fall asleep over the needles. But I've got to get going: there's another baby due in November that I have to knit for. And we don't know what it is, so I'll likely have to knit two sweaters. I'm jonesing to cast on the Wee-one Welcome Set sweater--I have boy and girl colors in Cider Moon--but I have so much else on the needles, I don't feel like I can justify it.

The Popover Mitts and the Mac & Me Lobster Claws fingerless mitts are both on the to-do list; I even joined the Fingerless Mitts for Fall knitalong. But I can't bring myself to start them. I have to find my place on the Popover Mitts (and I had found some errors in the pattern last fall when I started them), although I'd like to have them done by Stitches East, since I bought them last year at Stitches East. And unfortunately, I have to rip out the finished (or nearly-finished) Lobster Claw because I knit it wrong from the beginning. If I recall correctly, the first 5 or so rows should be knit flat and then joined, and I started off working in the round, which I would ignore, except the ruffle is knit flat and closes with a button, and I think it would be hard to pick up the stitches for the ruffle if the mitt is joined in the round. I haven't had the heart to rip it out yet, but I'm getting ready, especially because I know it knits up really quickly. I just hate to totally frog something.

The Summer Solstice socks are languishing. The project bag just sits and looks at me every time I get into bed. I'll be back!

The Decadent Fibers baby blanket saw some knitting time last week, but it's back in the ongoing project basket. Baby sweaters move more quickly.

And I've just about committed to totally frogging my Scarlet Fleece sock. It's a big deal--I've never totally frogged a project. I find the idea scary--I'm assertively abandoning a project--and intimidating--it's been dormant on the needles since March or so, and the yarn will be all crimped. Will I have to wash it?

I'm also going to frog the Perchance to Knit Irises sock. I need to switch needles, I'm sure I'll have to re-swatch, and I'm just not in the mood. But I'll just cut off the inch or so of ribbing and throw it back in the back with the yarn, to be used if only I run low on yarn.

The Morehouse Farm sweater still needs its sleeve, and it's almost cool enough to knit. It will be a quick knit, too--I've just got to get to it.

So, I think I got most of what's on the needles. (No, I'm not counting the Mountain Colors Cardigan that I bought approximately 10 years ago that's sitting in the attic, or the Babette crochet blanket, also in the attic). Goodness, is that 9 projects?! I definitely have to finish a Waterfall sock so that I can justify casting on the Wee-one sweater! And I have to finish one set of fingerless mitts before Stitches East. Even though I want to cast on for fingerless mitts in Halloween colorways! I think I have a problem.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ooooh congrats on the imac. they are really more user friendly.
remind me to ask nat about the photo thing for you. i don't own a mac yet..did for awhile but it was an old G3 and died a dramatic death in march.