Saturday, June 9, 2007

Knitter's Virtual Vacation Swap

Here's the Knitter's Virtual Vacation Swap questionnaire:

1. If you could visit any state in the US, which would it be and why?

Arizona, because I want to go to the Grand Canyon.

2. If you could visit any country in the world, other than your own, which would it be and why?

UK. I've been to London, but would love to see the rest of England, plus Wales, Scotland and Ireland. Edited to add: Uh, UK is not a country unto itself, but that's my answer and I'm sticking to it!

3. Have you ever driven across several states/providence/countries?

Yes, I've actually driven the entire Eastern Seaboard (I live in NJ and have driven north to Maine, and south to Georgia and Florida) and have driven to Quebec.

4. Have you ever visited someplace you consider exotic? Where was it?

Well, I don't know that it's truly exotic, but I found Prague, Czech Republic to be exotic because it was the first non-Western European city/country I visited, and it had this whole Eastern Bloc, post-Soviet vibe going on. Also Quebec City, because it was so European so close to the U.S.


5. What was your favorite "travel" vacation? Why?

I have a few, actually. My post-law-school-graduation, week-long road trip with my mother from Georgia to New Jersey, with stops in Asheville, NC; Durham, NC; and Colonial Williamsburg, where we celebrated my birthday. The surprise weekend getaway to Gettysburg, PA that I planned and flawlessly executed (if I do say so myself) for my then-boyfriend (who is now my husband), the history buff. The first leg of our unofficial post-wedding honeymoon at the Lake Placid Lodge in Lake Placid, NY. Our official honeymoon six months later, which was two weeks in Prague, Vienna and Italy.

6. Have you ever played tourist in your own home city/state (if international, country)? Explain.

Not really. Anything truly touristy (going to the shore, museums, colonial villages, etc.) was already done through school activities.

7. Are you a museum visitor, beach comer or an amusement seeker?

Museum visitor, but I like walks on the beach, too. Any sort of risk-taking amusements are long behind me.

8. What's your favorite type of yarn?

Soft, soft wool (itchy stuff irritates my skin), indie hand-painted stuff.

9. What's your least favorite type of yarn?

Acrylic, novelty yarns.

10. What items do you like to knit/crochet?

Knit: socks, hats (baby/toddler/adult), mittens/gloves, baby blankets, baby/toddler sweaters.

Crochet: baby blankets (although I have the IC Babette Blanket in progress for almost a year now, if not longer).

11. What do you pack, knit/crochet wise when you go on vacation?

Too much! I have not traveled since I became pregnant with triplets nearly 4 years ago. But when I used to travel, I would bring 2-3 projects, depending what was in progress, how long I would be away and how large the project was. If I was traveling for work, I would bring one small project that I could work on in transit (this was pre-9/11).

12. What other crafts do you do/would like to do other than Knit/Crochet?

I needlepoint, but it's really time consuming and I don't have all that much free time.

13. Are you allergic to anything? (Yarn wise or treat wise)

Yarn-wise: Nothing that I can recall, but I work with natural yarns.

Treat-wise: nuts, melon (not that I expect anyone to send melon, lol, but extracts of allergens used in things like lotions can make trouble for me)

Also cats and dogs, and I'm sensitive to cigarette smoke.

14. What is your favorite color? Least Favorite?

Favorites: purples

Least favorite: Burnt orange, teal, muddy colors

I do sometimes foray into colorways that wouldn't otherwise appeal to me, particularly for socks, but this is pretty accurate. You can check my photos on my blog to see the sort of colors I've been working with (or links to yarn I've bought--sorry, I thought I posted more photos than I actually have).

15. Sweet or Savory (Treat not personality)? Sweet. Personality too. Mostly.

16. Anything else we are forgetting to ask that you think your partner desperately needs to know?

I'm just looking for a vicarious vacation, and can't wait to get local flavor from you!

2 comments:

Sharon said...

My sister's last year of undergrad I flew out to Arizona where she was going to school and she and I drove from Tucson to the Grand Canyon. It was on of our best road trips ever!. When I kids are older I'd like to do it again.

Unknown said...

Hey, from one virtual Vacation Knitter to another! Had to say hello, my brother has triplets also (year and a half, all boys).
(KVV name: Alicia)