Thursday, February 22, 2007

The descent slows (sort of)

On the knitting front, I'm actually doing ok. I finally found a project, got gauge, cast on and am enjoying the yarn, though not loving my pattern so much. I can't discuss it more because I decided I'm knitting my gifts, and basically, as far as I know, my readers are my family (except for gray la gran--thanks!) and I don't want to spoil any surprises. If I get on the ball, I'll take pictures in progress and post them after gifting...as if anyone will even remember at the end of the year!

On the downside, I blocked my Heart socks. I learned that neither of my upstairs bathroom sinks will hold water and I need to have the plumber come. So I blocked them in the tub and used the rest of my sample size Flora Soak (love it!). And then, I put them on my blockers, which I love. And then a moment of moderate horror: the socks were too long for the blockers. Whaaaaaat?! One was only a little too long, no big deal, but the other must have had 1-2 inches flopping over the toe. Are you kidding me?! I tried them on while I knit them, and after they were finished. They fit properly. I knit both socks to the same specs (I count rows on sock no. 1 so I know what to do on sock no. 2, and still tried on sock no. 2 throughout). I think my Socktopia photos have to be taken with the socks on my feet so no one can notice (of course, I've just given myself away).

But back to the upside. I received three (!) knitting packages today. The first was the Knit Picks with the circular needles for the Koigu Daydreams Baby Blanket, which probably should have been named the Nightmare Baby Blanket. I know, it's going to be one of these things I'll kill myself for making, and then want to make it again because it's so beautiful. The extra skeins didn't come from Loop, so that's my excuse for not trying it again yet. Honestly, I don't think I've had a long enough rest from that torture!

Next, I received my package from The Loopy Ewe. Boy, I love to order from Sheri. It's only my second order, but Sheri is lovely--in my first package I received a yarn sample that fascinated me, so I called her for the color. So here's what came today: two skeins of Regia Bamboo in color 1062, several patterns, two yarn samples (gotta love it!), Sheri's homemade needle inventory (gotta love it!) and this cool little sock project book, Loopy's Knit Notes for Socks. This way, I can transfer all my little pattern notes that are currently stored in ziplocs with the leftover yarn to this little book and have the information appropriately organized. Yes, I am compulsive and love organization--Clean Sweep still gets me every time!

Finally, I received my Yarnahoy/Monsoon Winds yarn order. Goodness, the colors are gorgeous. I bought one skein of Berry Bang


and two skeins of Spring Pole.



I'm providing links to Yarnahoy's etsy shop for Berry Bang and Spring Pole because I think her pictures are better, and I'm showing off that I actually took pictures of the new yarn acquisitions today.

Pictures? Did you see pictures? Yes, I took pictures this evening! Why? Well, Baby Girl tipped her KinderZeat over (it's supposed to be non-tippable, but I guess they don't account for 18-month-olds who like to put their feet on the edge of the table and push back), and I mostly sort of caught her (I had to leap over a child gate, no less), but she did knock the back of her head. Frankly, I thought I was lucky I didn't dislocate her arm. She was ok, though I worried all afternoon, but the doctor told me to rouse her every 20 minutes for the first hour she was sleeping. So, I decided to take pictures during the intervals. She's fine, but goodness, the Sudafed and Benadryl (we think she's having an allergic reaction to the antibiotic for her ear infection) really knocked her out. Oh, and I had to spend the last 20 minutes running boys to the potty. Because the time they really want to go is at 9 p.m. They absolutely refuse to go while they're playing, but they think 9 p.m. is prime time potty time.

Well, back to knitting. Let's see what else I can post. Sophie's Toes yarn in Cupid:



and Passion.



A Swell Yarn's Duet socks:



and the Briar Rose hand-dyed I bought to make this hat and mitten set:



Oh, and let's not forget that Jitterbug:



I still have to figure this photo thing out, but you get the idea.

Well, I'm off to knit. And when I get too tired, I'm going to look through my new sock patterns/pattern books and work on my theme for March's Socktopia sock--yay!

No comments: