Sunday, January 21, 2007

Monkey Sock is so aptly named

Ok, so I'm almost done with sock no. 1. I know, that's where I was a few days ago. Since then, Boys E and M have developed pink-eye, or whatever it is Boy J has/had going on in the eyes. Try giving almost three-year-olds eye drops three times a day. I've broken one of my hard and fast rules: I bribe them with cookies because it's so bad (also Boy J, because his oral antibiotic tastes so bad), and even then, it's hard to get good cooperation.

On the sock front, I've ripped out the toe two or three times because it's too short. As it turns out, I needed another full repeat of the pattern, plus roughly 4-8 rows of stockinette before decreasing for the toe. I've had it with the ripping. The yarn and I need a rest. So, I've cast on the second sock and will make my adjustments there, and then will rip down the first sock one more time and knit to match. I did learn a new technique, though: how to weave the needles into the knitted fabric on the row I want to rip to, and then ripping. It's painstaking, but I couldn't take the "unknitting" for that many rows, and to just pull out the needles and rip is a disaster, because the stitches are so small and the yarn so fine that I get dropped stitches everywhere. Ugh.

All in all, I'm making progress on the second sock. I've finished the ribbing and have finished the first pattern repeat, or just about finished it. Battlestar Galactica is on tonight, so I should get some good knitting done, unless I get too engrossed in the show!

The Square-Along square is coming along nicely. It's a pretty simple pattern which will be a great way to use up leftover sock yarn.

3 comments:

mpsych said...

Hi Jennifersm
I joined the square-along as you made it seem like fun. I was able to get the gauge, but my square is too big. What is that???? I found my needles ended up being too short for the # of stitches and worrying about Koigu stitches on size 2 needles sti falling off. All in all, time consuming and not my favorite project however, I love using dp needles. mpsych

Embryo1 said...

First, both of you (mpsych and jennifersm) know full well that I knit gauges that are fine and then the project is too big. Not only have we not worked that out yet, but it's clear it is genetic.
Second, what's that about you enjoying dp needles mpsych? Not too long ago, you were refusing to use them until I gave you a push... Nice to see that you've adapted to them. Can't wait to see pictures of your works. Good luck with those knit-a-longs. Still shocked at how you find the time.

mpsych said...

Oh no!!!! I see a typo in my comment. I promise to be more vigilant.