Friday, January 12, 2007

Progress!

Hooray! My sick boy has improved greatly, freeing me from worry and more doctor visits, and giving me time to do other things, like knit my first Monkey sock . I have only 3-4 more rows until I finish the ribbing and the real fun begins. The ribbing looks narrow on the needles, not unusual, but I know it stretches. I'm hoping the sock will fit me, otherwise, I'll gift them to someone with smaller calves (I haven't worked out how to figure that one out, maybe I need to wait until summer to scope out the legs of prospective giftees). I'm also thinking of taking out one of the lace repeats because the sock as pictured in the pattern seems like it may be a bit tall for me, but the beauty of socks is that you can try them on as you go. I'm getting very excited to start the lace part, but each time I start knitting, I keep thinking I have to order metal double-pointed needles because the birch ones I'm using are very flexible, and I'm afraid that I may snap one. In the meantime, I'll just knit gently.

I now have finished two projects this year. Woo-hoo! I think I have tied with the total number of projects I finished last year. The first finished project is the Socks 101 socks. Last week, I managed to figure out how to post them to Flickr, so you can see them here. Then last night, I bound off the Esperanza scarf and wove in the loose ends; fortunately, there were only four ends, because I could hardly keep my eyes open. It was only the will to finish that kept me going.

I haven't made it back to the attic to search for the Socks That Rock yarn I bought at Stitches and did not see on my previous trips to the attic in search of sock yarn. I also did not cull the stash yarn in my bedroom to return to the attic. I try to ignore that pile--or more accurately, the yarn blob that ate my knitting baskets and chair--each time I walk into the bedroom, and I am moderately successful. Moderately, because it gets on my nerves every time I look over to that area of the bedroom, but I haven't been driven to actually do something about it yet. Tackling the blob will be one of my weekend projects (I have many, but the most likely ones to be completed is a batch cooking session and the blob; anything else is a bonus). Here's to more progress!

No comments: