Sunday, January 7, 2007

So this is how it all begins...

After months of following others' blogs, and developing an itch to join a knit-a-long, I am finally taking the plunge and starting this blog. I expect it will mostly capture my adventures in knitting, a respite from the wild ride of raising triplets and a singleton, all of whom at this time are under the age of three.

I am proud to say that I have completed my first knit-a-long project, Socks 101,
www.knitalong.net/testalong (I see my "to do" list will including how to set up links). I'm going to check if I can post a picture since it was a test pattern intended for publication.

In the meantime, I have been eyeing Socktopia,
www.socktopia.net. That means I have visited the site a zillion times. I'm the queen of lurking. I've read the the About/FAQ. At least three times. I've read the previous posts at least twice. It seems doable. It also seems like I can watch how people progress and sign up a little later. However, I think I need to have a blog to do it, ergo, here I am. Not only that, I have to make a commitment to the knitalong, after nearly three years of being unable to make commitments, or at least not any commitments that were not subject to the needs of a high risk pregnancy and multiple infants. And there are themes! Will my yarns/projects match any of the themes? Will I understand the themes? Will my Rockin' Sock Club (Socks That Rock) sock projects match the themes or will, horror of horrors, have to dig past brain fatigue and be creative? If so, maybe that's not so bad. At least it's not one of those knitalongs where you can get kicked out--that's too much commitment for me, considering my child-rearing obligations, and too much pressure. Could I really say, "Boys, I can't build a Thomas train track for you because I will get kicked out of the knitalong if I don't finish this project tonight?" On the other hand, would they even understand? It doesn't matter: a mother's guilt knows no bounds.

Well, here I go. There's still and hour of child nap time left, which means I have an hour of knitting to enjoy. And to mull over joining Socktopia.

No comments: